Monday, January 4, 2010

Searching for the Right Audience

I am about to embark on the second semester of my senior thesis project, Medianoia, and have decided that now would be as good a time as any to start blogging my thought process. If this generates feedback from the community then excellent, but if not, then that is alright as well. This is really just an online location for me to sort ideas and formulate a plan.

My initial goal for today is to rethink my chosen audience for the project.

At first, I decided that it would be logical to make my audience "those who trust the media most" in an attempt to make them question news content. According to one source, Can you trust the Media? by Adrian Monck, that group contains younger, lower class Americans with a poor education (ages: 16-24). Though that data sounds plausible, I had yet to find another source that supports the fact that teens and young adults are most likely to trust the news...let alone watch it.

A few things I have found out that aid in determining an audience:
-Republicans overwhelmingly distrust the news. This is because they believe that the news has a strong liberal bias.
-The television news is most frequently watched by viewers around ages 50-65.
The above information was gathered from the PEW Research Center.

New Valuable Internet Resources:
linktv.org - broadcasts programs that engage, educate and activate viewers to become involved in the world
newstrust.net - promotes quality journalism, to help people make more informed decisions as citizens
NewsTrust.net Educational Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment